Begin using the Revised I-9 now or before January 22, 2017
On November 14, 2016, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
Employers may use either the current or revised version until Jan. 22, 2017, after which only the revised version may be used. Employers should continue to follow existing storage and retention rules for all of their previously completed Forms I-9.
Visit the USCIS website to view or download the revised Form I-9 and instructions.
Features of the revised I-9
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used,” and streamlines certification for certain foreign nationals.
- The instructions have been separated from the form, in line with other USCIS forms, and include specific instructions for completing each field.
- The revised Form I-9 is easier to complete on a computer. Enhancements include drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates, on-screen instructions for each field, easy access to the full instructions, and an option to clear the form and start over.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- A dedicated area for including additional information
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators. A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.